Srinagar-Jammu highway shut due to snowfall
Srinagar: Fresh snowfall Saturday forced the closure of the Srinagar-Jammu highway on Saturday.
Around two feet of fresh snow fell in the Jawahar Tunnel area in the Bannihal sector of the highway at night, a traffic officer said.
Snowfall also occurred at night in the higher reaches of the Kashmir Valley while rain lashed the plains.
The Gulmarg ski resort recorded 18 inches of snow while Sonamarg received 20 inches and Shopian town 12 inches.
An official of the provincial administration said that snowfall was continuing in the border towns of Gurez, Machil, Tangdhar and Keran.
The Met Office has forecast improved weather.
"The weather will start improving from (Saturday) afternoon", Sonam Lotus, director of the Met Office here, said.
Western disturbances are extra-tropical storms in the Mediterranean Sea causing sudden rain and snow in Pakistan, India, Nepal and Bangladesh.
- Uttarakhand Speaker rejects disqualification of rebel BJP MLA
- US says Iraq's PM in ''strong position'' amid political unrest
- US Navy chief hopes for `normalization` with Russia in Baltic
- Turkey says Gaziantep attacker linked to IS
- US Presidential polls: Donald Trump looks to smother Ted Cruz as Indiana votes today