Srinagar-Jammu highway shut due to snowfall
Srinagar: Fresh snowfall Saturday forced the closure of the Srinagar-Jammu highway on Saturday.
Around two feet of fresh snow fell in the Jawahar Tunnel area in the Bannihal sector of the highway at night, a traffic officer said.
Snowfall also occurred at night in the higher reaches of the Kashmir Valley while rain lashed the plains.
The Gulmarg ski resort recorded 18 inches of snow while Sonamarg received 20 inches and Shopian town 12 inches.
An official of the provincial administration said that snowfall was continuing in the border towns of Gurez, Machil, Tangdhar and Keran.
The Met Office has forecast improved weather.
"The weather will start improving from (Saturday) afternoon", Sonam Lotus, director of the Met Office here, said.
Western disturbances are extra-tropical storms in the Mediterranean Sea causing sudden rain and snow in Pakistan, India, Nepal and Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH