Srinagar residents should end poll boycott: PDP patron
Srinagar: PDP patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed on Sunday appealed to city residents to end their election boycott as it was facilitating "free run" of the ruling National Conference in Srinagar district.
"No transformation of the historic (Srinagar) city is possible till the NC enjoys a free run in elections in Srinagar facilitated by poll boycott," Sayeed said at a workers meeting at Balhama in Sonwar constituency here.
Sayeed said the share of funds of Srinagar district has been reduced from 5.83 per cent in 2006-07 to 3.29 per cent in 2012-13 within the District Plan of the state.
"Srinagar is crumbling as the infrastructure development is not at all keeping pace with the pressures of increasing urbanisation and tourist inflow. 95 per cent of Srinagar dwellings are unplanned, leading to choking and other social problems with the government busy only in compromises for its survival," he claimed.
Last year the state government had diverted funds worth Rs 48 crore under Central Road Fund and none of the legislators, all belonging to the National Conference, had even raised the issue, he alleged.
Though the 10 legislators from Srinagar and Ganderbal districts are crucial to the NC`s survival in power, the party has taken the residents there for granted considering that there would always be boycott in elections, he said.
"It is for the people to ponder over this situation and decide whether this situation should be allowed to perpetuate at the cost of their interests," the PDP patron said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city