Twin dockyards formed for Dal Lake houseboats
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir government has established two dockyards for construction and repair of houseboats in the Dal Lake, one of the main attractions for tourists visiting the state.
The dockyards at Abikarpora and Pokhribal were inaugurated by Minister for Tourism Ghulam Ahmed Mir yesterday.
The dockyards were constructed at a cumulative cost of Rs 3.32 crore by Tourism Department to facilitate the houseboat owners for construction and repairs of their houseboats, an official spokesman said.
Speaking on the occasion, the Tourism Minister said houseboat owners have a great role in promoting tourism in the state.
He called upon them to provide all modern lodging and boarding facilities to the tourists while staying in the houseboats.
Mir said it should be also ensured that no tourist faces any inconvenience as Jammu and Kashmir is well-known for its hospitality in the world.
The government would provide all logistic support for the revival of historical houseboats, the Minister said.
He said the government has also launched an incentive scheme under which, those who intend to setup their units under tourism sector, would be provided incentives up to Rs one crore.
The Minister asked tourism stakeholders to pay special attention to upgradation of tourism infrastructure as the state is expected to witness a big boom of tourism activities in near future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand