Twin dockyards formed for Dal Lake houseboats
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir government has established two dockyards for construction and repair of houseboats in the Dal Lake, one of the main attractions for tourists visiting the state.
The dockyards at Abikarpora and Pokhribal were inaugurated by Minister for Tourism Ghulam Ahmed Mir yesterday.
The dockyards were constructed at a cumulative cost of Rs 3.32 crore by Tourism Department to facilitate the houseboat owners for construction and repairs of their houseboats, an official spokesman said.
Speaking on the occasion, the Tourism Minister said houseboat owners have a great role in promoting tourism in the state.
He called upon them to provide all modern lodging and boarding facilities to the tourists while staying in the houseboats.
Mir said it should be also ensured that no tourist faces any inconvenience as Jammu and Kashmir is well-known for its hospitality in the world.
The government would provide all logistic support for the revival of historical houseboats, the Minister said.
He said the government has also launched an incentive scheme under which, those who intend to setup their units under tourism sector, would be provided incentives up to Rs one crore.
The Minister asked tourism stakeholders to pay special attention to upgradation of tourism infrastructure as the state is expected to witness a big boom of tourism activities in near future.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’