Two hour shutdown to protest acid attack on woman
Srinagar: The commercial hub of Lal Chowk and adjoining areas on Friday observed a two-hour shutdown against the acid attack on a woman here earlier this week.
All the shops and other commercial establishments in Lal Chowk and surrounding areas downed their shutters from noon as a mark of protest against the acid attack on the 30-year-old woman in Parraypora area of the city on Wednesday.
A jilted lover poured the acid on the face of the woman, who was returning home from a coaching centre where she used to teach. The youth, Reyaz Ahmad Nath, who had been harassing the girl for last three years, and his accomplice Mudassir Ahmad have been arrested.
Meanwhile, Mudasir has told police that he was not aware about Nath`s intention to attack the girl with acid and has decided to turn approver in the case.
A senior police officer said Mudasir turning a prosecution witness will help in the case against the accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report
- Pakistan denies Dawood's presence in Karachi, says 'UN report motivated by India's aim to malign us'
- 'Chikungunya cases highest this year since 2006'
- Umbilical cells linked to increase risk of obesity: Study
- New movement discovered in blink of an eye