`Unrest may occur again if Kashmir issue remains unresolved`
Srinagar: Hurriyat Chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq on Friday said the 2010 summer unrest may take place again in the state in the coming years if no headway is made in the Kashmir issue.
"The way people of Kashmir expressed their sentiment in 2010...That sentiment still exists and can be repeated again in 2013 and 2014 if the dilly-dallying approach is not replaced by concrete measures to address Kashmir issue," Mirwaiz told a Friday congregation at Jamia Masjid in old city, immediately after his return from Pakistan.
The Hurriyat leader had led a seven-member delegation of his amalgam to Pakistan on the invitation of Islamabad despite criticism by hardliners, who termed the visit as a "futile exercise" in view of upcoming general elections.
Mirwaiz said his conglomerate is ready to be part of a "meaningful" dialogue process aimed at finding an amicable solution to the issue in accordance with the wishes and aspirations of the people of the state.
He, however, said the peace dialogue cannot prove fruitful unless there is a positive change in ground situation. The Hurriyat leader also sought an intra-Kashmir dialogue in this regard.
Mirwaiz stressed the need for removal of hurdles like travel documents for easy movement of people between the divided parts of Kashmir for building relations and trade.
"Relations between Pakistan and India cannot show positive improvement till both the countries are able to address the long-standing Kashmir dispute which is the biggest hurdle in normalisation of their ties," he said.
Referring to his visit, Mirwaiz said: "The Hurriyat visit of Pakistan was not only extraordinarily important but has also created an atmosphere which has opened the window for resolution of Kashmir issue."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside