We have not quit, BJP legislators tell J&K speaker
Jammu: Five of the seven BJP legislators involved in cross-voting in the legislative council elections in Jammu and Kashmir have written to the Assembly speaker, saying that their resignation letters should be considered withdrawn.
Seven of the 11 legislators of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had voted for the ruling National Conference and Congress alliance instead of their own party candidate.
A day after the incident of cross-voting, the party had sought and got the resignation letters of all the 11 party legislators.
Five of them Thursday evening approached the speaker with a plea that their resignation letters should be deemed as "withdrawn".
Sources in the Assembly secretariat confirmed to a news agency Friday morning that the speaker had received the request from five legislators, but there was no letter from BJP high command so far.
Two of seven legislators - former leader of the BJP legislature party Chaman Lal Gupta and legislator from Ranbir Singh Pora constituency Gharu Ram - however, have neither approached the speaker nor the Assembly secretariat.
All the 11 legislators involved in cross-voting were summoned to Delhi Tuesday.
On Wednesday, seven of them -- Chama Lal Gupta, Gharu Ram, Durga Dass, Jagdish Sapolia, Bharat Bhushan, Lal Chand, Baldev Raj -- were suspended from the primary membership of the party.
Four others -- Jugal Kishore Sharma, Ashok Khajuria, Sham Choudhary and Sukhnandan Choudhary -- were given a clean chit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Riteish Deshmukh pays tribute to father on 70th birth anniversary!
- Snapdeal partners Puravankara to sell flats with assured rent
- Like things to be poetic in music, says Rabbi Shergill
- Andhra Pradesh Integrated Common Entrance Test Results, APICET 2016 Results to be declared on May 27; check apicet.net.in
- Humiliation bothers obese air travellers the most