Anil Bastawade remanded in judicial custody
Ranchi: Former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda`s aide Anil Bastawade was on Wednesday remanded in 14-day jail custody by a special court in a multi-crore money laundering scam.
Special judge (PMLA) R K Choudhary passed the order and fixed the next date for hearing on February 11.
Bastawade was produced before the court of Prevention and Money Laundering Act by Enforcement Directorate officials amidst tight security.
He is the seventh accused arrested after Koda, Binod Sinha, Vikas Sinha, Manoj Punamia, Arvind Vyas and Vijay Joshi in connection with the money laundering and illegal investment case slapped against them.
A close associate of Koda, Bastawade was last night brought to the country from Indonesia by Indian agencies after the fugitive businessman was detained there following an Interpol notice against him for alleged money laundering charges.
Koda, who is in judicial custody now, was arrested on November 30, 2009 after the Income Tax department and the ED claimed to have unearthed Rs 2,500 crore money laundering and illegal investment scam following country-wide raids on 70 premises on October 31 the same year.
Two other accused Harinarayan Rai and Enos Ekka, who were ministers when Koda was the Chief Minister, are on bail in the case. They are presently MLAs - Rai is an Independent and Ekka is the lone member of Jharkhand Party (Ekka).
An ED official said the amount of the scam, which allegedly took place during the Koda regime between 2006 and 2008, has now gone up to Rs 3,400 in course of investigations.
"This amount excludes Anil Bastawade`s assets," the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’