Anil Bastawade remanded in judicial custody
Ranchi: Former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda`s aide Anil Bastawade was on Wednesday remanded in 14-day jail custody by a special court in a multi-crore money laundering scam.
Special judge (PMLA) R K Choudhary passed the order and fixed the next date for hearing on February 11.
Bastawade was produced before the court of Prevention and Money Laundering Act by Enforcement Directorate officials amidst tight security.
He is the seventh accused arrested after Koda, Binod Sinha, Vikas Sinha, Manoj Punamia, Arvind Vyas and Vijay Joshi in connection with the money laundering and illegal investment case slapped against them.
A close associate of Koda, Bastawade was last night brought to the country from Indonesia by Indian agencies after the fugitive businessman was detained there following an Interpol notice against him for alleged money laundering charges.
Koda, who is in judicial custody now, was arrested on November 30, 2009 after the Income Tax department and the ED claimed to have unearthed Rs 2,500 crore money laundering and illegal investment scam following country-wide raids on 70 premises on October 31 the same year.
Two other accused Harinarayan Rai and Enos Ekka, who were ministers when Koda was the Chief Minister, are on bail in the case. They are presently MLAs - Rai is an Independent and Ekka is the lone member of Jharkhand Party (Ekka).
An ED official said the amount of the scam, which allegedly took place during the Koda regime between 2006 and 2008, has now gone up to Rs 3,400 in course of investigations.
"This amount excludes Anil Bastawade`s assets," the official added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal