BJP backed candidate wins Ranchi mayoral polls
Ranchi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) backed candidate Asha Lakra was Friday declared winner in the Ranchi mayoral election, more than a year after the polls were cancelled over cash-for-vote allegations.
Asha Lakra defeated Trinamool Congress (TMC) backed candidate Naveen Lakra by a margin of 14,969 votes, said an official. Asha Lakra secured 40,941 votes while Naveen Lakra managed to get 25,072 votes.
Barsa Gari, All Jharkhand Students Union (AJKSU) backed nominee, came third with 22,534 votes while former mayor Rama Khalkho, who was supported by the Congress, took the fourth position with 11,604 votes.
The election for the Ranchi Municipal Corporation`s mayoral post was held June 23 and the counting of votes took place Friday. A total 14 candidates were in the fray.
The election witnessed the lowest turnout with only 17.72 percent electors casting their votes.
The Ranchi mayoral election does not take place on party line. Political parties indirectly field their candidates.
The election was scheduled to be held in April last year. But it was cancelled after the authorities seized Rs.20 lakh in cash just before the election. Former mayor Khalkho was arrested for allegedly influencing voters with money.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened