Congress, JMM to form govt in Jharkhand
Zee Media Bureau
Ranchi: Decks were cleared on Friday to lift President`s Rule from the state of Jharkhand after the Congress and the Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) formally announced their alliance.
JMM leader Hemant Soren, son of party chief Shibu Soren, told reporters that the Congress today assured them of support and the two parties will now form a coalition government in the state.
Sources said Hemant will most likely be the next chief minister.
Hemant said the alliance would not just confine to government formation but will also be applicable to Lok Sabha elections next year which the two parties will fight together.
Congress has agreed to have a JMM chief minister in the state. In lieu, the regional party has consented to give a lion`s share of 10 Lok Sabha seats to Congress out of a total of 14 in the state.
Hemant had yesterday held a long meeting with AICC general secretary BK Hariprasad, who is the Congress in-charge of Jharkhand affairs.
The meeting had reportedly discussed modalities of the new coalition government which will work on a common minimum programme (CMP).
The CMP has also been discussed and final touches are being given.
The tribal-dominated state is under President`s Rule since January 18 after the collapse of the Arjun Munda-led BJP government following the withdrawal of support by JMM on January 8. President`s Rule in the state is set to expire on July 18.
RJD chief Lalu Prasad has assured both JMM and Congress of his party`s support to a new government.
JMM and Congress, which have 18 and 13 MLAs respectively, need the support of 11 more legislators to form a government in the 81-member state Assembly. RJD has 5 MLAs in the House.
CPI-ML (L), Marxist Coordination Party, Jharkhand Party (Ekka), Jharkhand Janadhikar Manch and Jai Bharat Samta Party have one member each besides an Independent.
Political uncertainties have dogged Jharkhand ever since it was carved out of Bihar in 2000 as the state has remained under President`s Rule thrice -- 2009, 2010 and 2013.
(With PTI inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?