Jharkhand brought under President`s Rule; blow to JMM
New Delhi: Ten days after it plunged into political crisis, Jharkhand was on Friday brought under President`s Rule for the third time since its formation 12 years ago.
President Pranab Mukherjee, who is on a visit to Kolkata, signed the proclamation imposing the central rule in the state which is known for political instability and has seen eight governments since 2000, Rashtrapati Bhawan sources said.
The Union Cabinet had yesterday recommended imposition of President`s Rule, where Chief Minister Arjun Munda has resigned after his government was reduced to a minority.
The Cabinet discussed the report of Jharkhand Governor Syed Ahmed who has suggested imposition of President`s Rule while keeping the 82-member state Assembly in suspended animation.
The state was placed under President`s Rule in 2009 and 2010.
The present political instability erupted on January 8 when BJP`s ruling coalition partner JMM, in a letter to the governor, formally withdrew its support to the 28-month-old government pushing it into a minority.
Munda had resigned the next day and sought dissolution of the state Assembly.
In the Assembly, BJP and JMM have 18 members each. The Munda government had the support of six members of All Jharkhand Students` Union, two of JD (U), two Independents and one nominated member who has voting right in a trial of strength.
Opposition Congress has a total of 13 members, Jharkhand Vikas Morcha(P)11 and RJD 5 in the assembly. CPI-ML(L), Marxist Coordination Party, Jharkhand Party (Ekka), Jharkhand Janadhikar Manch and Jai Bharat Samta Party have one member each besides an independent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal