Madhu Koda shifted back to Birsa Munda jail
Ranchi: Former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda, who was admitted to a hospital after being allegedly beaten up by jail inmates on October 31, has been shifted back to Birsa Munda Central Jail.
Besides Koda, his former cabinet colleague Bhanu Pratap Sahi and his alleged aide, Vijay Joshi, were discharged from Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIIMS) last night, a
jail official said here today.
They were discharged a day after a team of Indian Army doctors had checked them at Namkom Military Hospital after the high court on December 19 ordered the prison officials to get the trio and ex-minister Kamlesh Singh checked up there.
Singh has not been discharged by RIIMS, the official said, but refrained from commenting whether the other three were discharged on the advice of the team of army doctors.
The court’s direction to check them by the military doctors came after a PIL by social activist Durga Oraon moved the court accusing all of them of using their political clout
to stay in RIIMS on the pretext of being ill instead of staying in jail.
While Koda was admitted to RIIMS after being allegedly
beaten up by the jail inmates, the other three had been
admitted for various "ailments".
Oraon had filed the original petition in 2009 accusing Koda and his former cabinet colleagues of amassing wealth disproportionate to their known sources of income between 2005 and 2008 when they were in power, leading to their arrests and subsequent remand in judicial custody.
While Koda and Kamlesh Singh were arrested on November 30, 2009, ex-health minister Bhanu Pratap Sahi surrendered before a special CBI court in connection with a medicine scam this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city