Madhu Koda shifted back to Birsa Munda jail
Ranchi: Former Jharkhand chief minister Madhu Koda, who was admitted to a hospital after being allegedly beaten up by jail inmates on October 31, has been shifted back to Birsa Munda Central Jail.
Besides Koda, his former cabinet colleague Bhanu Pratap Sahi and his alleged aide, Vijay Joshi, were discharged from Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIIMS) last night, a
jail official said here today.
They were discharged a day after a team of Indian Army doctors had checked them at Namkom Military Hospital after the high court on December 19 ordered the prison officials to get the trio and ex-minister Kamlesh Singh checked up there.
Singh has not been discharged by RIIMS, the official said, but refrained from commenting whether the other three were discharged on the advice of the team of army doctors.
The court’s direction to check them by the military doctors came after a PIL by social activist Durga Oraon moved the court accusing all of them of using their political clout
to stay in RIIMS on the pretext of being ill instead of staying in jail.
While Koda was admitted to RIIMS after being allegedly
beaten up by the jail inmates, the other three had been
admitted for various "ailments".
Oraon had filed the original petition in 2009 accusing Koda and his former cabinet colleagues of amassing wealth disproportionate to their known sources of income between 2005 and 2008 when they were in power, leading to their arrests and subsequent remand in judicial custody.
While Koda and Kamlesh Singh were arrested on November 30, 2009, ex-health minister Bhanu Pratap Sahi surrendered before a special CBI court in connection with a medicine scam this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees