Man offers reward to suspended BJP MLA to vote for govt
Ranchi: A man has been arrested for allegedly offering a suitable reward to a former minister to vote in favour of the newly formed government headed by Hemant Soren in Jharkhand.
The man called suspended BJP MLA Baijanath Ram and offered him "suitable reward" if he voted in favour of the government during the trust vote.
Ram called the police around midnight last and the accused was arrested.
The police took the accused to the Doranda police station here for interrogation.
An FIR has been filed in the case, Senior Superintendent of Police Saket Kumar Singh said on Tuesday.
Ram, along with a woman BJP leader, was suspended on "bigamy" charge a couple of months ago.
His vote is crucial when the Hemant Soren-led government takes the floor test.
The government has convened the Assembly on July 18 with vote of confidence being the house business soon after Soren was sworn in as the CM on July 13.
The JMM-Congress-RJD’s ruling coalition has 43 MLAs in the 82-member House.
Two JMM MLAs, Sita Soren and Nalin Soren, are in absconding list of the police.
Sita Soren is facing abduction charges while Nalin Soren, the former agriculture minister in the erstwhile Madhu Koda government, is wanted in a seed scam.
To have a smooth sailing, the Hemant Soren-led government has to ascertain presence of all their supporting legislators when the House meets on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia
- Rock stars and celebrities react with dismay to Brexit
- WATCH: How AAP MLA Dinesh Mohaniya was arrested by Delhi Police amidst high drama during press conference
- BJP president Amit Shah sounds poll bugle in Uttarakhand; slams Congress, Harish Rawat