Murder accused to get best legislator award
Ranchi: Janardhan Paswan, an accused in a murder case, is set to get the best legislator award of Jharkhand even as his selection has come as a surprise to many members of the state assembly.
Paswan is a Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) legislator from Chatra. He will be conferred the best legislator award Monday night in the state assembly.
Every year on its establishment day Nov 22, the Jharkhand assembly confers the awardon a selected member. This year the assembly committee chose Paswan for the honour, never mind that he is an accused in the murder of a government official, Mohammad Ali, not so long ago.
Ali was a child development project officer of Chatra district and was killed in January this year.
The ruling BJP as well opposition parties are stunned with the selection of Prasad for the award.
"It is sad that a murder accused will be conferred the best legislator award. I am unable to understand how he was selected despite the fact he does not fulfil the parameters of being the best legislator," Satyanand Bhokta, former minister and a BJP leader, told reporters.
CP Singh, who is the speaker and a senior BJP leader, headed the assembly committee that selected Paswan for the hoour.
But Singh said: "Even opposition members were members of the committee."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know how long Sonu Nigam sang on the streets for the ‘beggar’ video
- Know what Irrfan Khan has to say about Marathi blockbuster ‘Sairat’
- Louis van Gaal axed by Manchester United as Jose Mourinho waits in wings
- President Pranab Mukherjee sets off on 4-day visit to China today
- Will Mika Singh's guest appearance on 'The Kapil Sharma Show' cost him 'Comedy Nights LIVE'?