One dead, eight trapped as Jharkhand mine caves in
Ranchi: One woman was killed as a mine caved in on Monday morning in Jharkhand`s coal city Dhanbad, police said. Eight miners are feared trapped.
The accident occurred at the closed Khudia colliery of Eastern Coalfield Limited (ECL) in Dhanbad, some 260 km from here.
"Around 10 to 12 illegal miners were working at the ECL mine. The roof suddenly caved in, trapping nine of them. The woman`s body was removed by the villagers. The rest are still trapped," a police officer said.
More than 350 people have lost their lives in illegal coal mining in the state over the past decade.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?