One dead, eight trapped as Jharkhand mine caves in
Ranchi: One woman was killed as a mine caved in on Monday morning in Jharkhand`s coal city Dhanbad, police said. Eight miners are feared trapped.
The accident occurred at the closed Khudia colliery of Eastern Coalfield Limited (ECL) in Dhanbad, some 260 km from here.
"Around 10 to 12 illegal miners were working at the ECL mine. The roof suddenly caved in, trapping nine of them. The woman`s body was removed by the villagers. The rest are still trapped," a police officer said.
More than 350 people have lost their lives in illegal coal mining in the state over the past decade.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference