One JAP personnel killed, another injured in Maoist encounter
Jamshedpur: A Jharkhand Armed Police personnel was killed and another was injured on Saturday when Maoists ambushed their team that was combing the area between Jiyan and Hariyan villages in Ghatsila sub-division, police said.
Jharkhand Armed Police (JAP) personnel were on a routine combing operation in the naxal-hit area on six motorcycles when the ultras of the Kanu Munda squad of the CPI(Maoist) triggered an IED blast, Deputy Superintendent of Police (Musaboni) Devendra Banchandeo Kujjur said.
JAP personnel Prasant Roy, a resident of Silliguri in West Bengal, and Devendra Pradhan who were riding a two-wheeler lost control and fell down following the blast.
Kujjur said the ultras started firing indiscriminately and a bullet hit Roy, who was killed instantly, while Pradhan suffered minor injuries.
Senior police officials, including Senior Superintendent of Police Richard Lakra, rushed to the spot and launched an operation in the area to track the ultras, who reportedly escaped.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?