Ranchi`s former mayor sent to police custody
Ranchi: A Ranchi court Thursday sent the city`s former mayor Rama Khalko to three days` police custody in connection with a cash-for-vote case.
Khalko surrendered in the city court Wednesday and was sent to 14 days of judicial custody. However, police moved the court Thursday seeking custody of the former mayor for interrogation.
Earlier on Monday, Police had sought the court`s permission to attach Khalko`s properties, as a non-bailable arrest warrant was pending against her.
Two more people have been formally charged in the case and chargesheets against them have been filed in court.
Khalko was a candidate in the April 8 Ranchi Municipal Corporation poll, which was countermanded by the state election commission after police seized Rs.22 lakh in cash along with pamphlets of Khalko in a raid on a city hotel April 7.
According to police, Khalko had left the hotel when it was raided. Two people, including a Congress leader, had been arrested in connection with the cash-for-vote case.
Police sources said the cash seized from the hotel was to be utilised to lure voters in the municipal corporation poll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport