Amarnath Board wants more shelter and hospital for yatris
Bangalore: With criticism mounting over rise in causalities of Amarnath yatris, Art of Living founder Sri Sri Ravishankar, one of the members of the Shri Amarnath Shrine Board (SASB), today rejected criticisms made against the Board over poor arrangements and asserted that it has made every effort in its capacity.
In a statement here, he said media reports and intellectual bodies have presented "incorrect" pictures as though the SASB, responsible for holding the annual Amarnath pilgrimage, was not providing proper facilities and medical care for the pilgrims.
He appealed everybody not to "politicise" and question the integrity and sincerity of the body.
Expressing pain over the causalities of pilgrims, he said SASB was in touch with all stake holders, including those in Jammu, to make the yatra as smooth as possible and Jammu and Kashmir Governor N N Vohra, Chief Minister Ombar Abdullah and his government have been extending all cooperation.
"The SASB has made every effort in its capacity. The huge amount of effort that has gone in building more toilets, facilities for hygiene and to take care of the ecology and the environment should not be overlooked", he said.
Ravishankar suggested construction of concrete structure or a structure carved into the rock/hill which could withstand extreme weather conditions and provide better medical facility for the yatris be created.
There was also a need for a well-equipped hospital at the base camp in Balta. All that we would require was for the Forest Department to clear this piece of land to build the shelters on the way to the shrine, for the army to widen the tracks and required funds need to be sanctioned either by the State or the Centre, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27