Bedlam in assembly blot on Karnataka: Krishna
New Delhi: External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna Friday expressed "distress" at the unruly behaviour of legislators in the Karnataka assembly during the first trust vote Monday, saying it was "a blot on the fair name of Karnataka".
"It`s a blot on the fair name of Karnataka - the way the session was conducted with all kinds of people getting inside the state assembly," Krishna, also a former chief minister of Karnataka, told reporters here.
"The Speaker (KG Bopaiah) should have maintained decorum in the assembly," he said.
"Karnataka is the new face of India. Bangalore has become the focal point. They (the world) look at India through Bangalore," said Krishna, adding that bedlam in the state assembly Monday affected India`s global image.
Krishna, however, tactfully declined to comment on Governor H.L. Bhardwaj or Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa.
The chief minister had won the first confidence motion Monday by voice vote amid chaotic scenes and confusion. But the second trust vote was conducted in an orderly manner Thursday and he won it by a narrow margin.
The first Bharatiya Janata Party government in the southern state has been in the throes of a crisis since 11 BJP and five Independent legislators rebelled against Yeddyurappa`s leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?
- ISI plotted 26/11 Mumbai attacks with Pakistan govt's support, says David Headley