Bedlam in assembly blot on Karnataka: Krishna
New Delhi: External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna Friday expressed "distress" at the unruly behaviour of legislators in the Karnataka assembly during the first trust vote Monday, saying it was "a blot on the fair name of Karnataka".
"It`s a blot on the fair name of Karnataka - the way the session was conducted with all kinds of people getting inside the state assembly," Krishna, also a former chief minister of Karnataka, told reporters here.
"The Speaker (KG Bopaiah) should have maintained decorum in the assembly," he said.
"Karnataka is the new face of India. Bangalore has become the focal point. They (the world) look at India through Bangalore," said Krishna, adding that bedlam in the state assembly Monday affected India`s global image.
Krishna, however, tactfully declined to comment on Governor H.L. Bhardwaj or Chief Minister B.S. Yeddyurappa.
The chief minister had won the first confidence motion Monday by voice vote amid chaotic scenes and confusion. But the second trust vote was conducted in an orderly manner Thursday and he won it by a narrow margin.
The first Bharatiya Janata Party government in the southern state has been in the throes of a crisis since 11 BJP and five Independent legislators rebelled against Yeddyurappa`s leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble