BJP, Congress MLAs fight over `doodhwala-chaiwala` remarks
Bangalore: The Karnataka Assembly on Monday witnessed the amusing spectacle of Congress and BJP members verbally sparring over milk and tea after a ruling party MLAs called Siddaramaiah`s "doodhwala" government much better than Narendra Modi`s "chaiwala" government.
"Siddaramaiah`s doodhwala government is much better than Narendra Modi`s chaiwala government. It has performed better by collecting more tax than the chaiwala government in Gujarat," Basavaraj Rayaraddi said during the debate on the budget.
He said Siddaramaiah`s dhoodhwala government has kept the state borrowings under check unlike Modi`s chaiwala government.
The remarks triggered noisy scenes as BJP members rose in protest, leading to heated arguments between the opposition and treasury benches.
BJP members countered by claiming that the Gujarat model is the best for states in India.
Speaker Kagodu Thimmappa intervened and directed members to stick to the debate on the budget instead of digressing from it.
Rayaraddi was referring to the flavoured milk scheme introduced by Congress government for school children while the chaiwala remark was a reference to Modi`s humble origins as a tea seller.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi