BJP, Congress MLAs fight over `doodhwala-chaiwala` remarks
Bangalore: The Karnataka Assembly on Monday witnessed the amusing spectacle of Congress and BJP members verbally sparring over milk and tea after a ruling party MLAs called Siddaramaiah`s "doodhwala" government much better than Narendra Modi`s "chaiwala" government.
"Siddaramaiah`s doodhwala government is much better than Narendra Modi`s chaiwala government. It has performed better by collecting more tax than the chaiwala government in Gujarat," Basavaraj Rayaraddi said during the debate on the budget.
He said Siddaramaiah`s dhoodhwala government has kept the state borrowings under check unlike Modi`s chaiwala government.
The remarks triggered noisy scenes as BJP members rose in protest, leading to heated arguments between the opposition and treasury benches.
BJP members countered by claiming that the Gujarat model is the best for states in India.
Speaker Kagodu Thimmappa intervened and directed members to stick to the debate on the budget instead of digressing from it.
Rayaraddi was referring to the flavoured milk scheme introduced by Congress government for school children while the chaiwala remark was a reference to Modi`s humble origins as a tea seller.
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- I'm against honouring Malala Yousafzai with Nobel Peace Prize: Spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
- Sebi cancels registration of Deutsche Mutual Fund
- US-EU trade deal 'risks' emerge in leak
- Thankful Centre accepted mistake of calling off talks with Pakistan: Omar Abdullah
- Federal Bank says done with NPAs; sounds positive about FY17