Congress demands Karnataka Speaker`s resignation
Bangalore: Congress on Friday demanded the resignation of Karnataka Assembly Speaker KG Bopaiah in the wake of the Supreme Court passing "strictures" against him on
the issue of disqualification of five independent MLAs.
Leader of Opposition in the Assembly, Siddaramaiah said the apex court has passed "strictures" and "very serious observations" against the Speaker.
It had held that Bopaiah disqualified the five independents to save the BJP government during the trust vote in October 2010, he told reporters here.
"The Speaker has brought down the dignity of the office and its sanctity has taken a beating. He (Bopaiah) is biased and should immediately resign," Siddaramaiah said.
Earlier this week, the Supreme Court had held that the Bopaiah had acted in "great haste" to ensure that the trust vote did not go against the then chief minister BS Yeddyurappa.
Asked if Congress would "boycott" the Speaker in the Assembly session in case he does not quit, Siddaramaiah said, "If we did so, you (sections of media) will write that we (the
Congress) did not allow the House to function."
But he hastened to add that the issue would be considered seriously and discussed in the Congress Legislature Party meeting prior to the session and opposition JDS would also be
consulted for floor coordination.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video