Drug Control dept involved in scam: Karnataka Lokayukta
Bangalore: Karnataka Lokayukta has unearthed
a major scam in purchase of drugs in government hospitals,
causing huge losses to the state exchequer.
Lokayukta Santosh Hegde said they have already submitted
a report to the government in this regard.
"Accordingly, we have made some suggestions under
Karnataka Transparency in Public Procurements Act and also
held certain officers responsible for their misdeeds. Now the
ball is in the government court and they have to initiate
action," he said.
The report has indicted the purchasing authority for
government hospitals for indulging in malpractices in drug
purchases causing huge losses to the exchequer.
The report, based on one prepared by a committee of
doctors entrusted with the probe by Drug Control department,
states that the authority has been indulging in malpractices,
causing huge losses to the government, Hegde said.
The Lokayukta entrusted the probe to this committee after
complaints that some department officers in 2010-11 had placed
orders worth Rs 50 crore. It found the charges true after
preliminary examination and submitted an interim report to it.
Lokayukta then directed the Additional Director Karnataka
State Drugs Logistics and Warehousing Society (KSDL & WS) not
to procure the drugs. Subsequently they filed an application
before the Lokayukta, explaining their stand.
The Lokayukta passed an order on June 5, 2010 stating
that barring 25 drugs, other drugs could be purchased.
The probe pointed out there was a "conspiracy" to
purchase drugs not permitted and also indicted some officers
of KSDL and WS of being a part of it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees