HC vacates stay on proceedings against scribe
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court on Thursday vacated the stay on the proceedings in a local court in Mangalore against Kannada television channel reporter Naveen Soorinje, who was arrested in connection with the alleged attack on youths in a homestay in Mangalore in July.
Justice Nagamohan Das, vacated the stay following a communication sent by the trial judge seeking clarification on the High Court order of stay on November 19, due to which trial court was not able to decide on the bail plea.
Judicial Magistrate First Class Renuka Prasad had Wednesday reserved its orders on the second bail application filed by Sooringe.
Soorinje had filed the application following the High Court order staying further proceedings against him in the Mangalore Homestay attack on July 28.
Soorinje submitted that he had only done his duty as a reporter and had no role to play in the alleged attack.
The first bail application was rejected on November 17.
The Magistrate had said that the High Court order merely stayed further proceedings and was silent about releasing Soorinje.
A decision on the bail application would be taken following clarification from the High Court Registrar, he had said.
On July 28, over 12 students, including girls, partying at a homestay on the outskirts of Mangalore were targeted by activists allegedly belonging to `Hindu Jagarana Vedike`, who accused them of indulging in "immoral activities".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- SMASH HIT: Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is still ruling the Box Office! – Details inside
- Yogeshwar Dutt's Bronze to be upgraded to Silver: Virender Sehwag expresses excitement with HILARIOUS tweet
- Rahul Gandhi on three-day visit to Amethi from Wednesday
- ChampOne C1 at Rs 501: Know how to register; flash sale starts on Friday
- Philippines stops issuing haj passports to Muslim pilgrims