HC vacates stay on proceedings against scribe
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court on Thursday vacated the stay on the proceedings in a local court in Mangalore against Kannada television channel reporter Naveen Soorinje, who was arrested in connection with the alleged attack on youths in a homestay in Mangalore in July.
Justice Nagamohan Das, vacated the stay following a communication sent by the trial judge seeking clarification on the High Court order of stay on November 19, due to which trial court was not able to decide on the bail plea.
Judicial Magistrate First Class Renuka Prasad had Wednesday reserved its orders on the second bail application filed by Sooringe.
Soorinje had filed the application following the High Court order staying further proceedings against him in the Mangalore Homestay attack on July 28.
Soorinje submitted that he had only done his duty as a reporter and had no role to play in the alleged attack.
The first bail application was rejected on November 17.
The Magistrate had said that the High Court order merely stayed further proceedings and was silent about releasing Soorinje.
A decision on the bail application would be taken following clarification from the High Court Registrar, he had said.
On July 28, over 12 students, including girls, partying at a homestay on the outskirts of Mangalore were targeted by activists allegedly belonging to `Hindu Jagarana Vedike`, who accused them of indulging in "immoral activities".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city