Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah seen dozing off during debate on sexual offences; denies it
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Friday found himself in an embarrassing spot as video footage on TV channels showed him apparently dozing off during a debate on sexual offences against women in the Legislative Assembly.
Siddaramaiah was seen in the video grab tilting his head in the front with eyes closed as the House was immersed in an animated debate with the opposition BJP going hammer and tongs against the government over a spate of recent sexual offences and gunned for the resignation of Home Minister K J George.
The video shot was aired by TV channels but the Chief Minister said he was not napping.
"I was not sleeping. Who told you?. It is not correct," Siddaramaiah said to reporters` question."I was very much attentive. I was listening to that (debate)," the Chief Minister said.
The BJP had raised the issue of alleged rape of a six-year old girl student in a prominent public school in Bangalore which came to light on July 15 though it took place on July two and the alleged rape of a 22-year old woman who was sitting in a car with her friend here on July 10 midnight.
A 16-year old nun was allegedly raped here on Wednesday at a seminary where she was staying to undergo training.
The series of incidents has sparked a public outrage and protests, particularly the horrific rape of the minor girl in the school.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test