Karnataka Guv accepts Lokayukta’s resignation
Bangalore: Karnataka Governor HR Bhardwaj, Tuesday, accepted the resignation of state Lokayukta Shivraj Patil, who had resigned over allegations of violating cooperative housing society laws to own two sites in the state capital.
A retired judge of the Supreme Court, Patil took over on August 3 from another former apex court judge N Santosh Hegde, whose explosive report on illegal mining scam forced BS Yeddyurappa, first chief minister of BJP in South India, to quit on July 31.
Importantly, Bhardwaj had met Chief Minister Sadananda Gowda this morning reportedly to discuss the Lokayukta issue.
Patil had earlier denied any wrong-doing in buying a 4,012 sq feet plot in his wife Annapurna`s name from Vyalikaval House Building Cooperative Society (VHBCS) near Nagavara on Bangalore`s outskirts in 2006.
This plot was bought even though Patil owned a house in Bangalore. He got in 1994 a 9,600 sq ft site from the Karnataka State Judicial Department Employees` House Building Cooperative Society at Allasandra in another part of Bangalore`s outskirts.
The cooperative housing society rules state that people who own a plot or a house in a city are not eligible to get another plot from a housing society as the plots are sold at prices much lower than in the market for the members of the society.
Patil`s contention is that his wife was not allotted a plot by the Vyalikaval Society and it was bought in an auction.
Patil is the sixth Karnataka Lokayukta, the anti-graft institution that was set up in 1986, making Karnataka the first state do so.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?