Karnataka HC dismisses 11 MLAs disqualification petition
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Monday dismissed a batch of writ petitions filed by the 11 BJP rebel MLAs challenging their disqualification by Assembly Speaker KG Bopaiah, after they withdrew support to the B S Yeddyurappa government.
In its final order, the division bench headed by Justice
J S Khehar observed that it had passed an order on October 18
this year, referring the matter to a Single Judge who upheld
the disqualification and therefore the petitions stand
A division bench had delivered a split verdict with Chief
Justice J S Khehar upholding Bopaiah`s October 10
disqualification order, while Justice N Kumar had set it
aside, after which the matter was referred to a third judge.
Justice V G Sabhahit in his October 29 judgement
concurred with the Chief Justice and upheld the
disqualification and placed the petitions before the Division
Bench for the final order.
The withdrawal of support by the 11 rebel BJP MLAs and
five independents had led to a severe threat to the survival
of the Yeddyurappa government, which had to face two floor
tests in the Assembly.
The first confidence vote was carried by voice vote but
Governor H R Bhardwaj had declared it unconstitutional.
The government had won the second trust vote by 106-100.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Congress comes out with scathing 'report card' on PM Narendra Modi's 1yr rule