Karnataka HC dismisses 11 MLAs disqualification petition
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Monday dismissed a batch of writ petitions filed by the 11 BJP rebel MLAs challenging their disqualification by Assembly Speaker KG Bopaiah, after they withdrew support to the B S Yeddyurappa government.
In its final order, the division bench headed by Justice
J S Khehar observed that it had passed an order on October 18
this year, referring the matter to a Single Judge who upheld
the disqualification and therefore the petitions stand
A division bench had delivered a split verdict with Chief
Justice J S Khehar upholding Bopaiah`s October 10
disqualification order, while Justice N Kumar had set it
aside, after which the matter was referred to a third judge.
Justice V G Sabhahit in his October 29 judgement
concurred with the Chief Justice and upheld the
disqualification and placed the petitions before the Division
Bench for the final order.
The withdrawal of support by the 11 rebel BJP MLAs and
five independents had led to a severe threat to the survival
of the Yeddyurappa government, which had to face two floor
tests in the Assembly.
The first confidence vote was carried by voice vote but
Governor H R Bhardwaj had declared it unconstitutional.
The government had won the second trust vote by 106-100.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened