Karnataka HC dismisses 11 MLAs disqualification petition
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court on Monday dismissed a batch of writ petitions filed by the 11 BJP rebel MLAs challenging their disqualification by Assembly Speaker KG Bopaiah, after they withdrew support to the B S Yeddyurappa government.
In its final order, the division bench headed by Justice
J S Khehar observed that it had passed an order on October 18
this year, referring the matter to a Single Judge who upheld
the disqualification and therefore the petitions stand
A division bench had delivered a split verdict with Chief
Justice J S Khehar upholding Bopaiah`s October 10
disqualification order, while Justice N Kumar had set it
aside, after which the matter was referred to a third judge.
Justice V G Sabhahit in his October 29 judgement
concurred with the Chief Justice and upheld the
disqualification and placed the petitions before the Division
Bench for the final order.
The withdrawal of support by the 11 rebel BJP MLAs and
five independents had led to a severe threat to the survival
of the Yeddyurappa government, which had to face two floor
tests in the Assembly.
The first confidence vote was carried by voice vote but
Governor H R Bhardwaj had declared it unconstitutional.
The government had won the second trust vote by 106-100.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees