Karnataka mutt head Balagangadhara passes away
Bangalore: The head of Adichunchunageri Mutt Balagangadhara Swamiji, an influential spiritual leader of Karnataka, died at a hospital here on Sunday after a brief illness.
The 68-year old swamiji was admitted to BGS Global Hospital yesterday with complaints of severe chest pain and low blood pressure and his condition deteriorated today. He was put on ventilator and breathed his last this evening, hospital sources said.
Hospital Spokesperson Dr Venkataramana Gowda said the seer was suffering from heart disease and chronic kidney failure and had been on dialysis for last four years.
Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister R Ashok, his cabinet colleague V Somanna, former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda, Union Minister Veerappa Moily, actor Amabreesh, BJP leader Ananth Kumar and Art of Living Seer Sri Sri Ravi Shankar condoled the death of the Swamiji.
Ashok said the final rites of the Swamiji would be performed tomorrow evening with full state honours at the mutt premises in Mandya district.
The Swamiji, anointed the 71st Pontiff of the mutt on September 24, 1974, was an influential and powerful religious leader of Vokkaliga community, the second largest community in the state.
He was instrumental in opening more than hundred educational institutions and hospitals across Karnataka and had worked for the welfare of farmers and oppressed classes.
He had strongly opposed forced religious conversions and participated in dharnas against cow slaughter along with Shankaracharya of Puri Swami Nischalananda Saraswati.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray