K’taka moves SC seeking postponement of urban loca
Bangalore: Karnataka Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister S Suresh Kumar Wednesday said the government has moved the Supreme Court seeking postponement of the Urban Local Body elections in the state.
"We have filed a Special Leave Petition before the apex court against the Karnataka High Court`s directive, which had ordered the government to submit the reservation list of ULBs. The next hearing will continue on January 14," he told reporters here.
Kumar said government`s stand is clear as it wants reservations based on 2011 census figures which will not affect social justice as the population has increased in last 10 years.
Kumar said many town panchayats and city municipal councils have to be upgraded based on their population.The terms of all ULBs were ending in Feb-Mar2013.
Kumar said as many 14,46,075 applications were received under the Sakala scheme in December last year and out of which as many as 14,31,350 applications have been disposed of.
"We have reached a better disposal rate of 97.62 per cent compared to the previous month which read 97.35 per cent," Kumar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31