Ktk to press Centre to accord spl status to 5 dists
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister D V
Sadananda Gowda on Wednesday said the State government would exert
pressure on the Centre to amend Article 371 of the
Constitution to accord special status to the five backward
districts in Hyderabad-Karnataka region.
"We are pressurising the Central government again," Gowda
told reporters in response to questions after a Cabinet
A State delegation would visit New Delhi to press the
Centre again on the issue, while an all-party meeting would be
convened during the course of the Assembly session commencing
on January 30, he said.
The Karnataka government is demanding that the five
districts of Gulbarga, Raichur, Bidar, Koppal and Yadgir in
the Hyderabad-Karnataka region be accorded special status.
Asked if a resolution demanding the amendment by the
Centre would be passed in the Assembly, the Chief Minister
pointed out that such a step had already been taken.
"Repeatedly passing resolution is not necessary at this
stage", CM said.
Gowda said the Centre had agreed to amend the Article but
"it`s a matter of concern" that the issue did not come up
during the last Parliamentary session despite it being ready.
He said the central leaders, including Union Ministers
from the State, are "cooperating" and all that`s needed now is
to place the proposal before the Union Cabinet for approval.
A bandh was observed in the five districts of Gulbarga,
Raichur, Bidar, Koppal and Yadgir in the region yesterday
demanding the amendment.
Vaijnath Patil, President of the Hyderabad Karnataka
Horata Samiti, which had given the call for the shut-down,
said: "....amending the Article will facilitate comprehensive
development and ensure special reservation in employment and
Meanwhile, the Cabinet approved the text of Governor H R
Bhardwaj`s address, to be delivered at the joint session of
the Karnataka Legislature on January 30.
Chief Minister also said the Cabinet decided to "close" a
case, registered years ago, against Uttara Kannada Lok Sabha
member, Ananth Kumar Hegde, but did not specify the details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened