Ktk to press Centre to accord spl status to 5 dists
Bangalore: Karnataka Chief Minister D V
Sadananda Gowda on Wednesday said the State government would exert
pressure on the Centre to amend Article 371 of the
Constitution to accord special status to the five backward
districts in Hyderabad-Karnataka region.
"We are pressurising the Central government again," Gowda
told reporters in response to questions after a Cabinet
A State delegation would visit New Delhi to press the
Centre again on the issue, while an all-party meeting would be
convened during the course of the Assembly session commencing
on January 30, he said.
The Karnataka government is demanding that the five
districts of Gulbarga, Raichur, Bidar, Koppal and Yadgir in
the Hyderabad-Karnataka region be accorded special status.
Asked if a resolution demanding the amendment by the
Centre would be passed in the Assembly, the Chief Minister
pointed out that such a step had already been taken.
"Repeatedly passing resolution is not necessary at this
stage", CM said.
Gowda said the Centre had agreed to amend the Article but
"it`s a matter of concern" that the issue did not come up
during the last Parliamentary session despite it being ready.
He said the central leaders, including Union Ministers
from the State, are "cooperating" and all that`s needed now is
to place the proposal before the Union Cabinet for approval.
A bandh was observed in the five districts of Gulbarga,
Raichur, Bidar, Koppal and Yadgir in the region yesterday
demanding the amendment.
Vaijnath Patil, President of the Hyderabad Karnataka
Horata Samiti, which had given the call for the shut-down,
said: "....amending the Article will facilitate comprehensive
development and ensure special reservation in employment and
Meanwhile, the Cabinet approved the text of Governor H R
Bhardwaj`s address, to be delivered at the joint session of
the Karnataka Legislature on January 30.
Chief Minister also said the Cabinet decided to "close" a
case, registered years ago, against Uttara Kannada Lok Sabha
member, Ananth Kumar Hegde, but did not specify the details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog