Kumaraswamy to remain JD-S leader
Bangalore: Janata Dal-Secular members in the Karnataka Assembly on Thursday decided that HD Kumaraswamy should continue as their leader in the house.
The son of former prime minister HD Deve Gowda had submitted the resignation from the position after the JD-S was routed in the bypolls to two Lok Sabha seats in the state.
The decision was taken at a day-long meeting of JD-S legislators at a posh resort on Bangalore`s outskirts.
"The meeting decided not to accept Kumaraswamy`s resignation and he will continue to lead the party in the assembly," JD-S leader and member of the Legislative Council MC Nanaiah told reporters.
JD-S candidates lost the August 21 by-election from Bangalore Rural and Mandya Lok Sabha seats. The Congress bagged both the constituencies considered JD-S bastions.
Both the JD-S and Bharatiya Janata Party have 40 members each in the 225-member Assembly that includes one nominated member.
But JD-S is the recognised opposition party as it polled more votes than BJP in the May 05 Assembly Election which brought the Congress to power with 122 seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Imran Khan demands ‘jail’ for Nawaz; reiterates Pak PM’s resignation over Panama Papers – Video inside
- Breathtaking dance steps performed by sibling goes viral – Watch video to believe it!
- Seven of marriage party electrocuted in Telangana
- IS-linked cell in Morocco planned attack in Brussels
- NDRF says ‘fire out in 70% of affected areas’, Centre sends team to probe Uttarakhand forest fires