Life sentence a ground for granting divorce: HC
Bangalore: The Karnataka High Court has ruled that life sentence can be a ground to grant divorce.
Rejecting a Miscellaneous First Appeal by a husband serving life in a murder case, a division bench, headed by Justice K L Manjunath in its recent order said when the appellant is convicted for life, even the grounds of desertion have to be taken into account legally because the man cannot live with the wife and give her conjugal happiness.
"For the rest of her life, for no fault of hers, she cannot be made to suffer if marriage is allowed", the court observed while rejecting the appeal of a life convict of Central Prison, Bellary.
The man had challenged the July 18 2011 order of a family court in Shimoga in allowing the petition filed by his wife, seeking divorce on the grounds of cruelty and desertion.
An instructor at a government college in Chitradurga, he has been married to Vijaya for the past 13 years.
After marriage, they lived in Malladihalli village for the first six months. During this period, the woman came to know her husband was facing murder and assault charges and duly informed her parents.
However, the man`s family claimed he had been falsely implicated in the case and that he should be acquitted.
Meanwhile, the couple had a child after which he allegedly started ill-treating his wife.
In November 2000 Ganesh was convicted by a sessions court in a murder case and sentenced to seven years` imprisonment. On an appeal by the state, the sentence was enhanced to life imprisonment.
Vijaya moved the family court seeking divorce, which upheld her claim on the grounds of cruelty, but rejected the charge of desertion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi