Mining case: HC to hear Kumaraswamy`s plea
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court will on Friday take up the petition moved by JDS leader HD Kumaraswamy seeking quashing of FIR filed by Lokayukta Police following a complaint accusing him of facilitating illegal mining during his tenure as Chief Minister.
Justice N Ananda yesterday adjourned the hearing after Kumaraswamy`s counsel Hazmath Pasha sought time for further arguments.
Kumaraswamy had prayed for quashing a December 2 Lokayukta probe order under section 156 (3) of CrPC and the investigation being conducted into the matter.
Pasha submitted that decision taken by Kumaraswamy in his capacity as chief minister on granting mining lease was not "individual" as he was guided by officials and he alone
cannot be blamed.
Countering Pasha`s arguments, Justice Ananda observed that a person in the capacity of a chief minister should take decisions in the light of public concerns.
"The chief minister, while exercising his powers, should take into consideration the impact of his decision on the state and the ecology. Can the chief minister grant a mining lease in Cubbon Park without considering the ecological issues," Ananda observed.
Referring to the mining lease granted to Sai Venkateshwara, Pasha contended that "no offence has been committed under the Prevention of Corruption Act" and that the Lokayukta report
has not sought criminal prosecution against him with regard to leases granted to two others.
He also contended there was no loss to the state exchequer because of these two mining leases as these were not given effect to and no mining operations took place.
Pasha contended that false and frivolous complaints were filed with an intention to gain publicity and harass Kumaraswamy and his family members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez