‘One yr rural service mandatory for MBBS students’
Bangalore: The Karnataka government would promulgate an ordinance to make it mandatory for MBBS undergraduates and post-graduates to serve one year in rural
areas immediately after successful completion of the course.
In the Legislative Assembly, Chief Minister D V Sadananda Gowda accepted the suggestion of Dr. Sharanaprakash Rudrappa Patil (Congress), who highlighted the issue of shortage of doctors in Mudhol community health centre in Sedam taluk and
the number of vacant posts.
"We will promulgate the ordinance after the session (which
concludes on March 30)", Gowda said as he acknowledged that
doctors don`t like to work in rural and backward areas,adding
the problem would be solved once the one year rural service is
In last week`s budget speech, the Chief Minister, who holds
the Finance portfolio, said a legislation would be enacted on
making rural service mandatory but agreed to promulgate an
ordinance after Patil suggested quick action and enable its
implementation from the coming academic year itself.
Gowda, in the budget, had said MBBS undergraduates and
postgraduates would be made eligible for permanent
registration with Karnataka Medical Council only after they
serve one year in rural areas.
The government also proposed to hike penalty rates for
MBBS and post-graduate doctors who avail concessional seats in
Government colleges and Government seats in private colleges
but opt not to serve the Government after successful
completion of the course as stipulated in the relevant rules.
Meanwhile, Primary and Secondary Education Minister
Vishweshwara Hegde Kageri said the Government would be
implementing the Right to Education Act in 2012-13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’