Over 500 companies of paramilitary forces for Karnataka polls
Bangalore: More than 500 companies of paramilitary forces -- 50,000 personnel -- will be required for the May five Assembly polls in Karnataka, in addition to those drawn from the state police.
"We require more paramilitary forces as it is a single phase poll", Karnataka Chief Electoral Officer Anil Kumar Jha told a press conference here today, adding "We require more than 500 companies".
The Election Commission has convened a meeting with senior officials of the Home and Railway ministries in New Delhi tomorrow to discuss the issue, he said.
Jha said a Systematic Voters` Education and Electoral Participation (SVEEP) campaign would be conducted in the State to exhort the people to participate in the poll process, particularly in Bangalore where the poll percentage in the 2008 election was "not that much".
He said an EC team, led by Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath, which interacted with representatives of political parties and also Deputy Commissioners and Superintendents of Police here earlier this month, would come to Bangalore again in a week`s time to review the election preparedness.
Jha said the model code of conduct has come into force from last evening and the Government would have put on hold all announcements, new works and schemes and "every thing" barring in "emergency cases" such as drought relief and drinking water. "No new work will take-off".
Voters` list is being revised continuously, and 1.65 lakh names have been added to the earlier announced total electorate of 4.18 crore, including 2.04 crore women.
Jha admitted that there are some errors in the voter database and those are being corrected. "Already 43,000 such cases have been corrected".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state