Prahlad Joshi appointed Karnataka BJP president
Bangalore: Lok Sabha member Prahlad Joshi was on Thursday appointed state ruling BJP chief by national president Rajnath Singh to lead its tough battle in the May 05 Assembly polls.
The appointment of Joshi, representing Dharwad, was announced by Karnataka BJP just a day after the Election Commission declared the poll schedule.
Joshi pipped other contenders as he has a comparatively wider appeal and hails from north Karnataka which the party considers as its stronghold but where it is facing a threat to its prospects from former BJP strongman BS Yeddyurappa. Numerically powerful Lingayat community to which Yeddyurappa belongs has a strong presence in north Karnataka.
A second time Lok Sabha member from Dharwad, from where Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar also hails, 50-year-old Joshi, eclipsed former chief minister DV Sadananda Gowda, Mangalore Lok Sabha member Nalin Kumar Kateel and Minister Govind M Karjol who were also in the race.
Senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley and the party`s in-charge of Karnataka affairs Dharmendra Pradhan were in the city recently eliciting the views of key players in the party`s state unit on a successor to KS Eshwarappa who resigned from the post earlier this month.
Gowda, hailing from coastal Karnataka, was not seen as somebody who had a mass appeal, first time MP Kateel was considered as "too inexperienced" while Karjol was an "outsider" as he is originally not from the ruling party.
Some BJP leaders also saw the "imprint" of senior party leader HN Anant Kumar in the selection of Joshi whose case he has reportedly taken up after Karjol fell out of the race.
Joshi has his task cut out, with just under seven weeks to go for polls. Anti-incumbency factor is weighing heavily on BJP leaders even as Yeddyurappa, who has formed Karnataka Janatha Paksha, is hell-bent on spoiling its party.
Reacting to Joshi`s appointment, Yeddyurappa said it wasn`t a surprise to him as Anant Kumar, his bete noire, has been persisting with his name. "Anant Kumar is afraid to head the sinking BJP ship and hence he has suggested Joshi`s name."
Elected to Lok Sabha first in 2004 and returned to Parliament in 2009, Joshi has served on different Parliamentary committees. Joshi had served as General Secretary, BJP, Dharwad District, from 1995-98. He had held the position of president, BJP, Dharwad District from 1998-2003. He is now general secretary of BJP in Karnataka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31