Prahlad Joshi appointed Karnataka BJP president
Bangalore: Lok Sabha member Prahlad Joshi was on Thursday appointed state ruling BJP chief by national president Rajnath Singh to lead its tough battle in the May 05 Assembly polls.
The appointment of Joshi, representing Dharwad, was announced by Karnataka BJP just a day after the Election Commission declared the poll schedule.
Joshi pipped other contenders as he has a comparatively wider appeal and hails from north Karnataka which the party considers as its stronghold but where it is facing a threat to its prospects from former BJP strongman BS Yeddyurappa. Numerically powerful Lingayat community to which Yeddyurappa belongs has a strong presence in north Karnataka.
A second time Lok Sabha member from Dharwad, from where Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar also hails, 50-year-old Joshi, eclipsed former chief minister DV Sadananda Gowda, Mangalore Lok Sabha member Nalin Kumar Kateel and Minister Govind M Karjol who were also in the race.
Senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley and the party`s in-charge of Karnataka affairs Dharmendra Pradhan were in the city recently eliciting the views of key players in the party`s state unit on a successor to KS Eshwarappa who resigned from the post earlier this month.
Gowda, hailing from coastal Karnataka, was not seen as somebody who had a mass appeal, first time MP Kateel was considered as "too inexperienced" while Karjol was an "outsider" as he is originally not from the ruling party.
Some BJP leaders also saw the "imprint" of senior party leader HN Anant Kumar in the selection of Joshi whose case he has reportedly taken up after Karjol fell out of the race.
Joshi has his task cut out, with just under seven weeks to go for polls. Anti-incumbency factor is weighing heavily on BJP leaders even as Yeddyurappa, who has formed Karnataka Janatha Paksha, is hell-bent on spoiling its party.
Reacting to Joshi`s appointment, Yeddyurappa said it wasn`t a surprise to him as Anant Kumar, his bete noire, has been persisting with his name. "Anant Kumar is afraid to head the sinking BJP ship and hence he has suggested Joshi`s name."
Elected to Lok Sabha first in 2004 and returned to Parliament in 2009, Joshi has served on different Parliamentary committees. Joshi had served as General Secretary, BJP, Dharwad District, from 1995-98. He had held the position of president, BJP, Dharwad District from 1998-2003. He is now general secretary of BJP in Karnataka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video