Prahlad Joshi takes over as Karnataka BJP chief
Bangalore: Facing a daunting task of leading the ruling BJP in the May 05 Assembly Elections in Karnataka, Lok Sabha member Prahlad Joshi on Saturday took over as the state chief admitting that the party`s image had been dented by "some blunders" in the last five years.
BJP leaders, including Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar and Joshi, spoke of the need to be united to bring the party back to power while daring the Opposition Congress to name the leader under whom they would fight the polls.
A second time MP from Dharwad, 50-year-old Joshi is from the RSS stable.
Edging out former chief minister DV Sadananda Gowda, Mangalore MP Nalin Kumar Kateel and Minister Govind M Karjol, Joshi won the race in what was perceived as strengthening of his hold over the party by BJP national general secretary HN Ananth Kumar in the post Yeddyurappa phase.
"Some blunders committed in the last four or five years have dented the party`s image and hurt the party workers," said Joshi, who succeeds Deputy Chief Minister KS Eshwarapa as the state BJP president. Eshwarappa had resigned from the post earlier this month.
He said a section of party workers feel justice had not been done to them just to placate "someone or his autocratic nature", an apparent dig at former party strongman and Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa, but added it would be undone.
The BJP would fight the elections under a "sober team and leadership", he said, asking the partymen to face the electoral battle unitedly.
Shettar said Joshi was leading the party in a crucial electoral battle and BJP would bounce back to power with absolute majority despite negative projections, as "other parties don`t count at all."
The Congress lacked leadership, he said and challenged it to name who would lead it in the elections. People would also teach a lesson to those who walked out of BJP for "petty reasons", he said, apparently referring to Yeddyurappa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan