Prahlad Joshi takes over as Karnataka BJP chief
Bangalore: Facing a daunting task of leading the ruling BJP in the May 05 Assembly Elections in Karnataka, Lok Sabha member Prahlad Joshi on Saturday took over as the state chief admitting that the party`s image had been dented by "some blunders" in the last five years.
BJP leaders, including Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar and Joshi, spoke of the need to be united to bring the party back to power while daring the Opposition Congress to name the leader under whom they would fight the polls.
A second time MP from Dharwad, 50-year-old Joshi is from the RSS stable.
Edging out former chief minister DV Sadananda Gowda, Mangalore MP Nalin Kumar Kateel and Minister Govind M Karjol, Joshi won the race in what was perceived as strengthening of his hold over the party by BJP national general secretary HN Ananth Kumar in the post Yeddyurappa phase.
"Some blunders committed in the last four or five years have dented the party`s image and hurt the party workers," said Joshi, who succeeds Deputy Chief Minister KS Eshwarapa as the state BJP president. Eshwarappa had resigned from the post earlier this month.
He said a section of party workers feel justice had not been done to them just to placate "someone or his autocratic nature", an apparent dig at former party strongman and Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa, but added it would be undone.
The BJP would fight the elections under a "sober team and leadership", he said, asking the partymen to face the electoral battle unitedly.
Shettar said Joshi was leading the party in a crucial electoral battle and BJP would bounce back to power with absolute majority despite negative projections, as "other parties don`t count at all."
The Congress lacked leadership, he said and challenged it to name who would lead it in the elections. People would also teach a lesson to those who walked out of BJP for "petty reasons", he said, apparently referring to Yeddyurappa.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon