Six-year-old boy falls into 300-ft deep borewell in Karnataka
Bagalkot: A six-year-old boy fell into an open borewell at nearby Sulikeri village on Sunday and all out efforts were underway to rescue him.
Tipanna Hatti slipped into the 300-feet borewell in his father`s sugarcane field while he had gone there to play with his 12-year-old cousin and is suspected to be stuck at a depth of 160 feet, senior district officials told reporters.
The National Disaster Relief Force team has been requisitioned from Pune, even as efforts are underway to gain access to the boy by digging a parallel pit and oxygen is being supplied to him, district in charge minister SR Patil told reporters at the site.
He said the administration has sought help from a special rescue team from Sangli in Maharshtra and a robot expert - Manunath - from Mandya in Karnataka.
"The team from Sangli and the robot expert are on their way to the rescue site," he said.
"Rescue teams from Madurai and Chennai also will be pressed into service," Bagalkot Superintendent of Police Lada Martin Marbaniang said.
Officials said experts from the nearby Hutti gold mines have also been summoned.
Marbaniang said the boy is suspected to be stuck at about 160 feet.
Oxygen is being supplied into the borewell to keep the boy alive, Bagalkot Deputy Commissioner P A Meghannavar said. "We could hear the boy calling amma, amma (mother)," he said in the initial hours of the rescue operation.
The district in charge minister is camping at the site, supervising the rescue operations.
On June 17, a four-year-old girl had fallen into an open borewell at Nagathana village near neighbouring Bijapur and was found dead after a 50-hour-long rescue operation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea