WB approves 350 mn for road project in Karnataka
Washington: The World Bank has approved USD 350 million loan to accelerate the development of Karnataka`s core road network through the Second Karnataka
State Highway Improvement Project (KSHIP II).
The Government of Karnataka has identified about 25,000 km of the most important traffic corridors and designated them as the state`s core road network.
The Second Karnataka State Highway Improvement Project (KSHIP II) will finance improvements in 1,231 km of roads into two lanes.
This Project follows the first USD 360 million Karnataka State Highway Improvement Project (KSHIP I) implemented from 2001 to 2007 which has improved and maintained 2,385 km of State Highways and Major District
Under this Project, while the share of state highways which are under good condition has increased from 5 percent to 35 percent, the travel time in key road corridors has decreased by 37 percent.
"The acceleration of the road development programme and attention to road safety as envisaged in this project will help the state realise faster social and economic benefits and spur more investments," said Roberto Zagha, World Bank Country
director in India.
"This loan from the World Bank, we hope, will help the Government of Karnataka leverage private sector financing through economically viable Public Private Partnerships (PPP) in accelerating the development of their state highways," said
Venu Rajamony, Joint Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs.
In a statement, the Bank said according to the latest road condition survey, 39 percent of the core road network requires improvement to bring it into good or fair condition.
At the same time, vehicular traffic in the state has been rapidly growing at the rate of 10 to 15 percent per year in the last decade, the survey says.
Karnataka also accounts for 10 percent of the total road accident cases in India.
The number of fatalities has increased by 55 percent since 2000 to reach a rate of 140 per 100,000 vehicles in 2009 compared with rates like nine in the UK, 15 in USA and 70 in Brazil and China.
The high fatality rate in Karnataka is attributed to a lack of effective road safety management and enforcement system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared