We are in distress, can`t release water: Karnataka to tell PM
Bangalore: Karnataka would convey to Cauvery River Authority, headed by the Prime Minister, at its meeting on September 19 that it would not be possible to release any more water to Tamil Nadu as the state itself is facing a distress situation.
Opposition leaders and Lok Sabha members from the Cauvery river basin attended a meeting here, called by Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, where it was unanimously decided to strongly represent the state`s position.
"It was decided bring to the notice of the Prime Minister the factual position. We will explain to him in detail the drought situation in the state", Shettar said. "More than 42 taluks on the Cauvery basin have been declared drought-hit".
It was decided to bring to his notice the storage levels in reservoirs in Karnataka and Tamil Nadu and also that the entire Bangalore city depends on Cauvery for its drinking water needs. "We have decided to argue our case forcefully", he said.
"We still have deficit rain-fall".
Leader of the Opposition in the Assembly Siddaramaiah (Congress) said south west monsoon has nearly ended its spell in Karnataka while Tamil Nadu is set to get north-west monsoon next month.
Storage levels at Mettur dam in Tamil Nadu is 44 TMC ft which is enough for "Samba" crops and drinking water requirements for 45 days, he contended.
Karnataka is facing drought for the second year running. "When we ourselves don`t have enough water and are in a distress position, the question of release of water to Tamil Nadu does not arise", said Siddaramaiah.
N Cheluvarayaswamy, Lok Sabha member from the Cauvery heartland of Mandya, said it was a "mistake" on the part of Karnataka to release 10,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu as an interim arrangement.
He said the government should explain to the Prime Minister in no uncertain terms that it would not be possible to release water as the state itself is facing shortage both for irrigation and drinking purposes.
Meanwhile, the "Mandya Bandh", called by the Cauvery River Protection Committee and local farmers` outfits against release of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu, evoked good response and passed off trouble-free, police said.
While business and other commercial establishments were closed, buses belonging to the Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation and autorickshaws were plying, police at Mandya said.
Most of the schools and colleges remained closed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe