`Will take final call on truth test on June 26`
Bangalore: After boldly challenging JDS leader
HD Kumaraswamy to take the "truth test" before a deity to
prove his peace bid allegation, Karnataka Chief Minister BS
Yeddyurappa on Wednesday appeared to have softened his stand on the
proposed temple face-off.
Yeddyurappa told reporters here that on June 27 (the date
fixed for the truth test by the two), he would offer prayers
at Dharmasthala and proceed to participate in inauguration of
development works at the nearby Kukke Subramanya temple.
He said religious leaders had written to him and advised
him (to drop the plan) on the issue and he had tremendous
respect for them. Yeddyurappa said he would take a "final
decision" (on the truth test) on the evening of June 26.
The entire episode started unfolding on June 16 when
Kumaraswamy, a former Chief Minister, alleged that Yeddyurappa
had sought to buy his silence by offering inducements in terms
of money and future coalition, among others.
Hitting back, Yeddyurappa placed newspaper advertisements
last Saturday challenging Kumaraswamy to come to the famous
pilgrim town of Dharmasthala in Dakshina Kannada district,
where both of them can meet and take an oath in front of Lord
"If you have the courage to stick to your allegations in
front of the Almighty, I will appreciate your courage. I am
even ready to take a pledge before God that all allegations
made by you are completely baseless", Yeddyurappa had said.
The Chief Minister`s camp, led by Home Minister R Ashoka,
fixed June 27 for the "truth test" and it was accepted in no
time by Kumaraswamy, a Lok Sabha member who is also JDS
Karnataka unit President. Kumaraswamy has stuck to his
position since then.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case