`Will take final call on truth test on June 26`
Bangalore: After boldly challenging JDS leader
HD Kumaraswamy to take the "truth test" before a deity to
prove his peace bid allegation, Karnataka Chief Minister BS
Yeddyurappa on Wednesday appeared to have softened his stand on the
proposed temple face-off.
Yeddyurappa told reporters here that on June 27 (the date
fixed for the truth test by the two), he would offer prayers
at Dharmasthala and proceed to participate in inauguration of
development works at the nearby Kukke Subramanya temple.
He said religious leaders had written to him and advised
him (to drop the plan) on the issue and he had tremendous
respect for them. Yeddyurappa said he would take a "final
decision" (on the truth test) on the evening of June 26.
The entire episode started unfolding on June 16 when
Kumaraswamy, a former Chief Minister, alleged that Yeddyurappa
had sought to buy his silence by offering inducements in terms
of money and future coalition, among others.
Hitting back, Yeddyurappa placed newspaper advertisements
last Saturday challenging Kumaraswamy to come to the famous
pilgrim town of Dharmasthala in Dakshina Kannada district,
where both of them can meet and take an oath in front of Lord
"If you have the courage to stick to your allegations in
front of the Almighty, I will appreciate your courage. I am
even ready to take a pledge before God that all allegations
made by you are completely baseless", Yeddyurappa had said.
The Chief Minister`s camp, led by Home Minister R Ashoka,
fixed June 27 for the "truth test" and it was accepted in no
time by Kumaraswamy, a Lok Sabha member who is also JDS
Karnataka unit President. Kumaraswamy has stuck to his
position since then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’