88 percent of Kerala diaspora in Middle East: Survey
Thiruvananthapuram: Of the 1.63 million Kerala diaspora, 88 percent lives in the Middle East countries, according to a Kerala government survey released Wednesday.
KC Joseph, minister for diaspora, said it is the only complete survey on diaspora.
He said: "There are 1,625,653 NRI Keralites, of whom 1,426,853 are working, including 1,325,527 males and 99,326 females."
The maximum number of Keralites, around 573,289, live in the UAE. Also, approximately 450,229 live in the Saudi Arabia. In the US, there are 78,357 Keralites, while in Europe there are 52,887, in Canada 9,629, and in the African continent there are 6,863 Keralites.
Incidentally, it was the central government that ordered an-all India survey on the diaspora and the Kerala government joined in with a separate list of questionnaire, to find out the basic information about Kerala diaspora from every Kerala household.
More than 9,000 enumerators, supervised by 2,500 officials, called at each household in the state.
"Our brief to the officials was no question on finances should be asked. We felt that if we included such questions, then many would not have given correct information. Our only purpose was to find out the actual numbers of our people abroad," said Joseph.
The survey showed that five million people in the state are dependent on the diaspora. The Muslim-dominated Malappuram district has most number of dependents, around 292,753 people, while the hilly Idukki with 14,575 people is the district which has the least.
The tribal panchayat at Idukki-Edamalakuddi is the only place in the state which does not have a single person outside India.
Approximately 58,559 of the women from Kerala work as nurses and Kottayam district accounts for the maximum number of women who work abroad, while Kasargode has just 1,240 women who work abroad, the survey states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday