BSP gets panchayat president`s post in Kerala for first time
Thiruvananthapuram: For the first time in Kerala, a Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) nominee became the president of a gram panchayat, garnering the support of the Congress-led UDF.
In the election held yesterday, BSP councillor Bindu Biju was elected president of Koruthodu panchayat in Kottayam district, securing eight votes beating LDF nominee T V Seethamma, who got only four votes.
The president`s post in the panchayat is reserved for Scheduled Caste women and UDF had no option but to support Bindu Biju as both the Congress and Kerala Congress-M had no councillor from the SC community.
The election was necessitated after the disqualification of Vijayamma Raju, who was holding the post after defecting from LDF to UDF. Vijayamma, who won with LDF support, had switched sides and joined UDF to become panchayat president, but was subsequently disqualified by the Election Commission.
In the 12-member panchayat body, UDF has seven members, CPI-M four, besides the BSP member.
Bindu Biju said she would focus on implementing more schemes for the welfare of the SC community.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Mumbai Police recovers car used in Sheena's murder; Indrani, Sanjeev, driver to be taken to crime spot in Raigad