Cabinet berths for Congress` Kerala allies
Thiruvananthapuram: The Congress has "more or less" decided to give all its allies Cabinet berths in the new Kerala government, chief minister in waiting Oommen Chandy said.
"Yes, the meeting of the UDF (United Democratic Front) has more or less decided to give Cabinet posts to all our allies," Chandy said after a Sunday night deliberation with all Congress allies at his official residence here.
The Congress-led UDF has won the Assembly Elections with 72 seats in the 140-member Kerala Assembly. The Left Democratic Front managed 68 seats.
In the UDF, Congress won 38 seats, Indian Union Muslim League 20, Kerala Congress (Mani) nine, Socialist Janata Democratic two, and Kerala Congress (Pillai), Kerala Congress (Jacob) and Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP) one each.
"We will be having a Cabinet of 21, including the chief minister, because rules permit up to a maximum of 15 percent of the total strength of the House," UDF convener PP Thankachan said.
Chandy and the rest of the Cabinet will be sworn in Wednesday at the lawns of the Raj Bhavan, the official residence of the Governor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!