Cabinet berths for Congress` Kerala allies
Thiruvananthapuram: The Congress has "more or less" decided to give all its allies Cabinet berths in the new Kerala government, chief minister in waiting Oommen Chandy said.
"Yes, the meeting of the UDF (United Democratic Front) has more or less decided to give Cabinet posts to all our allies," Chandy said after a Sunday night deliberation with all Congress allies at his official residence here.
The Congress-led UDF has won the Assembly Elections with 72 seats in the 140-member Kerala Assembly. The Left Democratic Front managed 68 seats.
In the UDF, Congress won 38 seats, Indian Union Muslim League 20, Kerala Congress (Mani) nine, Socialist Janata Democratic two, and Kerala Congress (Pillai), Kerala Congress (Jacob) and Revolutionary Socialist Party (RSP) one each.
"We will be having a Cabinet of 21, including the chief minister, because rules permit up to a maximum of 15 percent of the total strength of the House," UDF convener PP Thankachan said.
Chandy and the rest of the Cabinet will be sworn in Wednesday at the lawns of the Raj Bhavan, the official residence of the Governor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP comes out in defence of Amitabh's association with second anniversary programme
- Army troops, insurgents exchange gunfire along Manipur-Myanmar border
- Telangana TS EAMCET Results 2016: Engineering, Agriculture and Medical Common Entrance Test (TS EAMCET) results to be declared today on May 26 (Thursday) on www.tseamcet.in at 11 AM
- World leaders kick off G7 talks with economy, terrorism and refugees in focus
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims