CBI arrests another Crime Branch DYSP
Kochi: Another Crime branch Deputy Superintendent of Police was on Monday arrested by CBI in connection with the attack on a reporter of a Malayalam daily at Kollam last year.
N Abdul Rasheed, presently working as Crime Branch NRI cell DYSP, Thiruvananthapuram and Kerala Police service Association state president, was summoned by CBI today to Kochi and arrested.
He was later produced before the Chief Judicial Magistrate court, Ernakulam, and remanded to two days CBI custody. His bail will be taken up on April 18.
Rasheed is the second Crime branch DYSP to be arrested in the case after Santosh Nair.
The case had been handed over to CBI after the Kerala Union of Working Journalists appealed to Chief Minister Oommen Chandy in this regard.
Mathrubhumi reporter V B Unnithan was attacked by a gang of hired criminals on April 16 last year while he was returning home from work. He was allegedly targeted for writing a story in the daily about some police officers having attended a party thrown by a liquor contractor in the government guest house at Kollam on October, 2009.
The crime branch had earlier investigated the case.
Five persons had been arrested in the case.
Unnithan, who was seriously injured, was hospitalised for nearly eight months following the attack.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what