Chandy fumes over family issues in Assembly
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy flayed the opposition Tuesday for seeking to move an adjournment motion to discuss a minister`s family issue.
The motion was later disallowed by the speaker following which the opposition walked out.
"I must say never ever has such a personal family problem been raised in this manner. This is indeed a black day for our Assembly," Chandy said after Left members sought leave for the motion.
The motion was related to the alleged problems between Forest Minister KB Ganesh Kumar and his doctor wife, Yamini Thankachi.
The Left move followed media reports that said the minister`s wife had met Chandy and handed over a five-page letter detailing how she had been ill-treated by her husband but the chief minister did not accept it.
Communist Party of India-Marxist`s A Pradeep Kumar sought leave for the motion. When Speaker G Karthikeyan read it out, it led to a verbal spat between the treasury and opposition benches.
Pradeep Kumar pointed out that it was the government`s chief whip P.C. George who revealed the matter at a press conference.
A visibly agitated Chandy said it was true that Yamini met him twice but insisted that she had not given him any such letter.
He added that the minister`s family problems had now been resolved.
Before walking out, opposition leader VS Achuthanandan said this issue merited a discussion.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon