Chandy fumes over family issues in Assembly
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy flayed the opposition Tuesday for seeking to move an adjournment motion to discuss a minister`s family issue.
The motion was later disallowed by the speaker following which the opposition walked out.
"I must say never ever has such a personal family problem been raised in this manner. This is indeed a black day for our Assembly," Chandy said after Left members sought leave for the motion.
The motion was related to the alleged problems between Forest Minister KB Ganesh Kumar and his doctor wife, Yamini Thankachi.
The Left move followed media reports that said the minister`s wife had met Chandy and handed over a five-page letter detailing how she had been ill-treated by her husband but the chief minister did not accept it.
Communist Party of India-Marxist`s A Pradeep Kumar sought leave for the motion. When Speaker G Karthikeyan read it out, it led to a verbal spat between the treasury and opposition benches.
Pradeep Kumar pointed out that it was the government`s chief whip P.C. George who revealed the matter at a press conference.
A visibly agitated Chandy said it was true that Yamini met him twice but insisted that she had not given him any such letter.
He added that the minister`s family problems had now been resolved.
Before walking out, opposition leader VS Achuthanandan said this issue merited a discussion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi