CM slams NSS leader for remarks against him
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Chief Minister V S
Achuthanandan on Wednesday hit back at an organisation of Nairs, a
major caste of the Hindu fold in the state, saying its leader
belongs to that category of people who act like "servants of
He was reacting to the comments of G Sukumaran Nair,
acting General Secretary of Nair Service Society (NSS), that
Achuthanandan was a leader who did not believe in democracy
and often defied his own party to carry on with his autocratic
The Chief Minister told reporters that, "There are two
types of leaders in the NSS. One category comprises real
leaders. There are also people in the NSS who are subservient
to corrupt people. Nair belongs to the second category."
Nair had yesterday said that in last month`s Assembly
polls, the NSS deviated from its "equi-distance" policy from
the LDF and the UDF to prevent Achuthanandan from becoming
Chief Minister again.
However, Nair clarified today that some of his remarks
were taken out of context.
His comment triggered sharp reaction from the CPI-M with
Home Minister and party polit buro member Kodiyeri
Balakrishnan saying, "The words and expressions used by Nair
against Achuthanandan were quite unbecoming of Kerala culture
and its traditions of healthy debate."
Balakrishnan said the LDF knew "very well" that the NSS`s
claim of keeping equi-distance from the two coalition was just
a ploy to mislead people. However, it was good that the NSS
leadership revealed its true stand, he said.
Meanwhile, an NSS unit office was stoned at Muhamma in
Alappuzha district late yesterday. Doors and glass windows of
the building were damaged in the attack by unidentified
KPCC president Ramesh Chennithala condemned the attack on
the NSS unit alleging that the CPI(M) workers were behind it
and this exposed their "intolerence and undemocratic midset".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India