CM slams NSS leader for remarks against him
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala Chief Minister V S
Achuthanandan on Wednesday hit back at an organisation of Nairs, a
major caste of the Hindu fold in the state, saying its leader
belongs to that category of people who act like "servants of
He was reacting to the comments of G Sukumaran Nair,
acting General Secretary of Nair Service Society (NSS), that
Achuthanandan was a leader who did not believe in democracy
and often defied his own party to carry on with his autocratic
The Chief Minister told reporters that, "There are two
types of leaders in the NSS. One category comprises real
leaders. There are also people in the NSS who are subservient
to corrupt people. Nair belongs to the second category."
Nair had yesterday said that in last month`s Assembly
polls, the NSS deviated from its "equi-distance" policy from
the LDF and the UDF to prevent Achuthanandan from becoming
Chief Minister again.
However, Nair clarified today that some of his remarks
were taken out of context.
His comment triggered sharp reaction from the CPI-M with
Home Minister and party polit buro member Kodiyeri
Balakrishnan saying, "The words and expressions used by Nair
against Achuthanandan were quite unbecoming of Kerala culture
and its traditions of healthy debate."
Balakrishnan said the LDF knew "very well" that the NSS`s
claim of keeping equi-distance from the two coalition was just
a ploy to mislead people. However, it was good that the NSS
leadership revealed its true stand, he said.
Meanwhile, an NSS unit office was stoned at Muhamma in
Alappuzha district late yesterday. Doors and glass windows of
the building were damaged in the attack by unidentified
KPCC president Ramesh Chennithala condemned the attack on
the NSS unit alleging that the CPI(M) workers were behind it
and this exposed their "intolerence and undemocratic midset".
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre