Coast Guard to have 42 stations by this year end
Kochi: The Indian Coast Guard is expected to grow incrementally to achieve a force level of 150 surface platforms and 100 air assets by 2018, its Director General Vice-Admiral MP Muralidharan on Friday said.
The number of Coast Guard Stations will be increased to 42 by the end of the year, he said after reviewing the Passing Out Parade of 33 Assistant Commandants of the 54th Batch, including women Officers.
The officers passed out of the Coast Guard Training Centre at nearby Fort Kochi on successful completion of Law and Operations Course.
The role and responsibilities of Indian Coast Guard are growing in tandem with national interests. Contemporary transnational concerns such as piracy, human trafficking, drugs and arms smuggling were on the rise along with encroachment of maritime zones, he said.
The Admiral also reminded the personnel that while maritime terror has proven that the seas unite, they are also often exploited to advance the agenda of anti national elements and hoped that the training in the service would enable them to tackle these emergent challenges.
The `Sword of Honour` for standing first in overall order of merit was awarded to Assistant Commandant Satish Kumar.
The 11-week Law and Operations Course for Coast Guard comprise of a wide range of subjects which include among others maritime law and its enforcement, search and rescue operations, fisheries monitoring, control, and surveillance, and prevention and control of marine pollution.
The Parade was attended by Inspector General SPS Basra Commander Coast Guard Region West , DIG Satish Chandran, Commander District headquarters and a host of senior Naval and Coast Guard Officers.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...