IPS officer suspended in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: Joint Director of Police Academy, DIG S Sreejith, has been suspended from service for his alleged connection with controversial businessman K S Rauf, estranged relative of Kerala Industries Minister P K Kunhalikutty, official sources said on Tuesday.
Director General of Police K S Balasubramanian had recommended suspension of Sreejith based on a inquiry conducted by Thrissur Range IG S Gopinath, sources at the Chief Minister`s office said.
The charge against Sreejith was that he tried to frame Malappuram DYSP, who took a case against Rauf, in a bribery case and also helped Rauf take over a property owned by a Malayalee at Kudagu in Karnataka, they said.
After falling out with Kunhalikutty, Rauf had made certain fresh allegations in the `ice cream parlour sex scandal` in January last year. He had alleged that Kunhalikutty had asked several key witnesses in the case to turn hostile and had offered them pecuniary benefits.
The scandal pertains to allegations that an ice cream parlour in Kozhikode district was used as a cover for running a sex racket in the late 1990s. Though Kunhalikutty never became an accused in the case, he had come under a cloud in the wake of the scandal and even had to quit the ministry then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday