IPS officer suspended in Kerala
Thiruvananthapuram: Joint Director of Police Academy, DIG S Sreejith, has been suspended from service for his alleged connection with controversial businessman K S Rauf, estranged relative of Kerala Industries Minister P K Kunhalikutty, official sources said on Tuesday.
Director General of Police K S Balasubramanian had recommended suspension of Sreejith based on a inquiry conducted by Thrissur Range IG S Gopinath, sources at the Chief Minister`s office said.
The charge against Sreejith was that he tried to frame Malappuram DYSP, who took a case against Rauf, in a bribery case and also helped Rauf take over a property owned by a Malayalee at Kudagu in Karnataka, they said.
After falling out with Kunhalikutty, Rauf had made certain fresh allegations in the `ice cream parlour sex scandal` in January last year. He had alleged that Kunhalikutty had asked several key witnesses in the case to turn hostile and had offered them pecuniary benefits.
The scandal pertains to allegations that an ice cream parlour in Kozhikode district was used as a cover for running a sex racket in the late 1990s. Though Kunhalikutty never became an accused in the case, he had come under a cloud in the wake of the scandal and even had to quit the ministry then.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand