JD(S) in Kerala to become Socialist Janatha (Democratic)
Thiruvananthpuram: Janata Dal (S) in Kerala led
by MP Veerendrakumar, a constituent of the Congress-led UDF,
will be renamed as Socialist Janatha (Democratic) at a special
meeting to be held at Thrissur on August 7.
The party will adopt a new flag and constitution at the
meeting, seeking to build a re-unified platform of democratic
socialists, the party`s senior vice-president Dr Varughese
George said here.
Veteran Kannada writer and socialist Dr U R Ananthamurthy
would hand over the new flag to Veerendrakumar at the venue
at Thekkinkad Maidan, named after stalwart Indian Socialist
movement Dr Ram Manohar Lohia.
Resolutions highlighting the party`s perceptions on
political,economic, education and organisational aspects would
be discussed and adopted by the meeting.
"The declaration of the party would be a major step towards
bringing the socialists of the country on a single platform",
George said in a statement.
The party would aim at emerging as a major political force
by mobilising masses against invasion of big industrial
corporates on the natural assets, he said.
For long a partner in the CPI(M)-led LDF, JD (S) parted
ways with the coalition on the eve of the last Lok Sabha
polls after it was denied the Kozhikode parliament seat,
which was earlier contested and won by Veerendrakumar.
The party later became a component of the UDF.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why