Kerala: School van plunges into canal, 3 kids die
Thiruvananthapuram: At least three children
died and one child was in a critical condition when a van
carrying around 25 school students plunged into a canal near
here on Tuesday.
While most of the children were rescued by local people,
two boys and a girl, all aged below 12, lost their lives as
the van taking them home through a narrow road along the banks
of a branch canal of Parvathy Puthanar river plunged into it
at Channankara, about 25 km from here.
The condition of all the children, except one, was
stable, sources said.
Initial reports said four children were missing, but
police said no complaint of missing children had been
Ten rescued children were admitted to the government SAT
Hospital and six in Missions Hospital at Kazhakoottam.
Before the accident, two children had alighted from the
van at previous stops and four others had been taken home by
their parents. The children were from Jyothinilayam school in
Kazhakoottam on the city outskirts.
However, rescue operations are still on and Naval divers
from Kochi have also joined the team.
The road on which the van was travelling had no sidewall.
The exact cause of the accident was yet to be established but
the driver of the van denied overspeeding.
This was the second accident in the state capital
involving school children within an year after a similar
mishap claiming the lives of six children and a woman aid of a
pre-primary school at Karikkam in February.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed unanimously in state Assembly; violence rocks Tamil Nadu
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog