Kerala school van tragedy toll rises to four
Thiruvananthapuram: The death toll in the
school van accident at Channankara near here rose to four with
a five-year-old child succumbing to injuries on Tuesday.
Preliminary investigations have found that the vehicle
that plunged into a canal was driven by its cleaner, who did
not possess a licence.
Three children had died yesterday when the van carrying
25 primary school students fell into a canal at Channankara,
about 25 km from here.
Kerala government had announced a solatium of Rs 5 lakh
each for the families of the deceased children and decided to
bear entire expenses of the children receiving treatment for
injuries suffered during the mishap.
Nearly 15 children are still undergoing treatment.
Police have registered a case of homicide with the
cleaner Shibin, driver Jefferson and the school management as
According to police sources, investigations revealed that
though the driver Jefferson was in the vehicle, it was being
driven by cleaner Shibin at the time of the accident.
There had also been violation of guidelines concerning
school vehicles issued by the government after a similar
accident claimed seven lives in the city in February.
In yesterday`s mishap, the van was packed with children
beyond its prescribed capacity, sources said.
The intensity of the tragedy would have been greater had
it not been for the local people who rushed to save most of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?