Kerala school van tragedy toll rises to four
Thiruvananthapuram: The death toll in the
school van accident at Channankara near here rose to four with
a five-year-old child succumbing to injuries on Tuesday.
Preliminary investigations have found that the vehicle
that plunged into a canal was driven by its cleaner, who did
not possess a licence.
Three children had died yesterday when the van carrying
25 primary school students fell into a canal at Channankara,
about 25 km from here.
Kerala government had announced a solatium of Rs 5 lakh
each for the families of the deceased children and decided to
bear entire expenses of the children receiving treatment for
injuries suffered during the mishap.
Nearly 15 children are still undergoing treatment.
Police have registered a case of homicide with the
cleaner Shibin, driver Jefferson and the school management as
According to police sources, investigations revealed that
though the driver Jefferson was in the vehicle, it was being
driven by cleaner Shibin at the time of the accident.
There had also been violation of guidelines concerning
school vehicles issued by the government after a similar
accident claimed seven lives in the city in February.
In yesterday`s mishap, the van was packed with children
beyond its prescribed capacity, sources said.
The intensity of the tragedy would have been greater had
it not been for the local people who rushed to save most of
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram